browse all

Departments of Bridges and Plants and Structures

Departments of Bridges and Plants and Structures, 1901-1939. With consolidation of the Greater City of New York in 1898, all bridges over waterways were placed under jurisdiction of the newly-formed Department of Bridges. In 1916, Bridges merged with Public Works and became the Department of Plant & Structures with responsibility for streetcar lines, ferryboats, sewers, waste disposal facilities, homeless shelters, and bridges. The photographs are numbered in three series: General Series, Series III (Manhattan Bridge) and Series IV (Queensboro Bridge). The General Series includes construction of the Municipal Building, as well as images of ferry boats, trackless trolleys, buses, street scenes, construction laborers, office workers, and panoramas. From 1906 to 1934, the Department employed a single photographer, Eugene de Salignac.

→Departments of Bridges and Plant and Structures photographs
Powered by Preservica
@City of New York. 2024 All Rights Reserved, NYC is a trademark and service mark of the City of New York